我的简介

我的照片
I have a dog named Gus, he lives with my parents.

2008年9月9日星期二

A brief glimpse of Turkestan (Turkey)

The morning I left Uzbekistan, it was pretty early. So I decided not to go to bed, as I feared the possibility of missing my airplane.
I took a taxi to Toshkent Airport and listened to some cool music along the way.

When I got there I checked in and before long got in one of the buses that drove off on the runway and stopped up in front of the airplane.
That was cool and fun.

Got on the plane, and then we took off.
The woman sitting next to me in the plane was from Spain, Barcelona.
We started talking some kindof of mixed language of me moving my hands around and speaking in gibberish with fluent intonation...
she picked up on about 1/5 of what I tried to say and we became friends.
Out the window you could see the stark desert landscape of central and western Uzbekistan... its only relief the two great rivers that once filled the Aral Sea... one flowing in from the north from Kyrgyzstan via Kazakhastan... the other flowing in from the great Pamirs of Tajikistan. The Amu Daria and Sir Daria.... (daria turns out to mean "river" in the central Asian languages.

The banks of the river were dotted with cotton fields irrigated by the river...the river used to make it to the Aral Sea, an inland sea with no escape, but it mostly does not make it any more, the cotton fields are thirsty, and so are people making a living just like back in the United States.

I told my seating partner about that in sign language and she did not understand.
Then we listened to music, I introduced her properly to Yulduz Usmanova and then she gave me her contact info.
She was older than my mom, so she would be godmother to me.



This is a recent song put out by Yulduz Usmanova

When we got to the edge of Uzbekistan, we came upon the Caspian Sea... it was big.
Then on the south side we could see the northern borderlands of Iran.
Then we entered Turkey and I could see the colossal mountains, lofty pigs rising above the clouds declaring marshmellowhood. I think that one of them is where Noah's Ark crashed back when the big flood started to evaporate.


Maybe Noah's Ark is around the summit of that peak above...

The banks of the river were dotted with cotton fields irrigated by the river...the river used to make it to the Aral Sea, an inland sea with no escape, but it mostly does not make it any more, the cotton fields are thirsty, and so are people making a living just like back in the United States.

I told my seating partner about that in sign language and she did not understand.
Then we listened to music, I introduced her properly to Yulduz Usmanova and then she gave me her contact info. She was older than my mom, so she would be godmother to me.


The mysterious triple hopes high up in the sky, what was the deal... and there is the cotton fields barely visable.
There is the northern coast of Iran on the Caspian Sea...


The airplane interior (Turkish Airlines)
The Black Sea in the east

Beautiful Clouds!
The edge of Europe

Then we could see the greatest place on Earth, the beginning and the end of Asia and the beginning and the end of Europe... the announcements made it certain that we were honing in on Istanbul. The sea between the two continents, and therein the two separate parts of the city was being danced and painted to life by the motor/sailboats circling...


The border of Asia and Europe
Western Edge of the Black Sea
When we got to the edge of Uzbekistan, we came upon the Caspian Sea... it was big.
Then on the south side we could see the northern borderlands of Iran.
Then we entered Turkey and I could see the colossal mountains, lofty pigs rising above the clouds declaring marshmellowhood.
I think that one of them is where Noah's Ark crashed back when the big flood started to evaporate.
I landed and got of the plane, bought my visa and went into Turkey.
I got on the train and started talking to some girl, I asked here where to go and she said Tarzim and Borcadda.

So I took the train to Tarzim where lots of musicians set up on the street and play.
I played there for about 2.5 hours and then got on a bus, train, ferry, bus, bus, bus, slept at the bus station for a couple of hours, then got on another ferry and almost arrived at Borcadda...

Taxis of Istanbul

Istanbul Proper
Istanbul Again

Like a movie, I inadvertently arrived at the very last western point in Asia, and for all practical purposes had crossed the entire Asian continent and Silk Road. I went the western corner of the island and found a beautiful beach. I set up listened to some music and then I swam in the water... the Aegean Sea, was not only sapphire blue, there was not a single wave on it! Too still for it to be on Earth.

In the northwest corner of the island, you could see wind generators, you could see echoes from the future at the edge of the Silk Road.

Here on the island I became friends with Murat, Arnaud and Omar. First I met Murat and Arnaud on the ferry from the mainland to Borcadda, then while we were eating lunch on the island I met Omar. All four of us where having a good time together talking about music and art. Omar is a dance choreographer, Arnaud and Omar are students living together in Paris... out of the three two are from Turkey and Arnaud is from France.

Like out of a dream one fine person stated to me on an evening late there on the island, that I had arrived at the place where the world began. It was in these islands that a tremendous things happened which allowed civil society to develop into what it has today. What an exciting time, and what a neat thing to hear someone say.
My Friend Omar
My Friend Murat
My Friend Arnaud
After not sleeping for many many days and sitting on a boat
The edge of Asia
The Edge of Asia from another perspective
The holmes of Borcadda, peaceful and quiet
Borcadda is so safe that you can leave your key in the outside of the door just like this all day


Four friends on the first and final evening for this time around
The edge of Asia had exactly what I should have not expected to find, must be a good sign
Look at the wind generatorsThere is the Turkish flag in the straight between Europe and Asia, whoa its pretty
Me and Mister Mustache

My journey to Turkey was to make friends with these fellows and before long, it was time to move on to the next place... Istanbul where I would catch my flight to Chicago.

I travelled by ferry back across the straight, then by bus to Istanbul where I tried my first Turkish bath. The experience was erotic (just kidding). That night I sat in Tarzim and played music all night, and in the early morning I met Taylan and Huriye... Taylan spoke English so it was easy to have conversations and they enjoyed hearing my instruments... before they left Huriye gave me a Donald Duck money pouch as a token of her appreciation.

The next morning was hectic, I did not wake up in time because I never went to bed... so I was tired. I went back to the bus station and fell asleep on the bus before I got there... luckily the driver woke me up at the appropriate stop... when I got off of the bus, I argued with the bus station attendants about the location of my digital camera... finally after many hours of arguing... I got my camera back and just in the nick of time to catch my flight back to the states.

I ran to my train and when I got to the airport, I also ran to the check in counter, was one of the last people in the plane and then I was off to the west back to the United States. I slept pretty well on the plane all the way to Chicago.

There will be one last blog after this one, I hope you will enjoy the final blog.

没有评论: